Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What the hell do I do with all this crap from my garden?









Let me introduce you to my friend Mason,








No, Not the boy across the street.




This Pretty Blue Jar!

















Last summer , My husband came home with a box full of them. And said "Here, now we can keep all the tomatos,and Cucumbers and Beets, that you have no idea what to do with at the end of the season. "









My reaction was... Crap now I have to learn how to do this and NOT blow up the jars in the process.



First things First, The Fast and Easy/Cheating way to sanatize your jars.





Take Jars, Rings and Lids and throw them in the dish washer, NO SOAP. Put it on the Hottest/ Sanatizing setting, and KAPOW! Sanatized. Keep the dishwasher door shut inbetween canning, and pull the jar's out while still hot to fill them.






I started with making pickled Beets, We didnt have too many . So I wasn't worried I'd be stuffing tons of them in jars. I had lucked out because My Mom had found a recipe box at my Grandma's that contained TONS of recipes from a few generations back,Specifically My Great Aunt Ella. She was my Great Grandfather's Sister.






Tragicly she was murdered about a year before I was born. So I never met her. I do however have her name as One of my Middle Names. At times I wonder if when I'm Cooking or Crocheting if she's the one who takes over when my brain goes on Auto Pilot.



Anywho, while going through the box-o-recipe stash. I found a pickled beets recipe!! SCORE!!!






Your First Lesson in making Pickled Beets.......Cutting up Beets=Magenta fingers, Magenta EVERYTHING. Invest in some Gloves!




Aunt Ella's Pickled Beets




  • 2 cups water


  • 2 cups sugar


  • 2 cups vinegar


  • 1 tablespoon of cinnamon


  • 1 teaspoon all spice


  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves

Peel and slice the beets, bring recipe from above to a boil , add peeled beets and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then pour in the jar's and the heat will seal the lids.





The longer they sit the better. I just opened a jar this week from last year.









They were SOoooo Nummy!!!

















5 comments:

  1. Craigie Moe loves Beets.. he used to sneak them like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe for 'Spiced Beetroot Wine' if you want it.

    Another way of sanitising jars is to put them in the oven - but I don't know at what setting or for how long. I'd have to ask my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hubz and I are Beer and Wine Makers!!! So of course I want that recipe :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay - get around 3 lbs beetroot, and cut into relatively small chunks. Boil it in 6 pints of water, until soft (though not mushy). Meanwhile, thinly slice an ounce of ginger, and put this into your bucket with 6 cloves, some grated nutmeg (small amount) and a teaspoon each of ground cinamon and all-spice (or whichever spices you want to put in). Then pour over the liquid from the beetroot. The beetroot itself can be served to the family in whatever meal you want that involves beetroot. Pour in 2 1/2 lbs sugar. Stir. Leave to cool. Add yeast and nutrient. Add more cold water, if necessary, and let bubble for about 5 days before putting into demijohn. Make sure the demijohn is darkened (either in brown glass or cover with paper or silver foil) and then proceed as you normally would.

    The best thing about this wine is its fantastic purple colour. Tastewise it is pretty good - though gets better the longer you leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you , I will definately use this recipe this year. I planted a TON of beets today!

    ReplyDelete