Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In Praise of Hestia.... The trials and tribulations of being a stay at home Mom.

















This particular Blog was inspired by a friend who told me I should share what I know, when it comes to being a domestic Momma :)



















Everyone wants to be "Green" these days. Well screw that, I want to be Old Lady/Farmer-ish. There is something very satisfying about knowing how to do stuff yourself. I once told my Mother " You know, if the grid ever does go down and people are left with out technology, I WILL BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF MY FAMILY". I know this sounds very paranoid but there's nothing wrong with knowing how to survive.











One of the best things anybody can do is READ! I try to get my hands on as many books on Self sufficiency,Gardening, Homesteading and just getting back to the roots of LIVING.













It really came down to having a "Want" and turning it into a skill.














There are so many resources out there to teach you things. People just feel they don't have the time. MAKE THE TIME! If its something you really wish you knew how to do THEN DO IT! My Grandmother once said " Once you've learned how to do something Nobody can take that away from you".










Part of the reason why I've taken on doing a lot of this stuff the old way is because there's days when I feel I've lost touch with TRUE REALITY. When you spend as much time as the average person infront of a computer screen you lose touch with it.












In the last year or so I've really wanted to focus my energy on getting my household under control. Minimalising the amount of products that are used because there is nothing worse then opening a cabnet and finding 6 different types of the same product half to 3/4 full , staring you in the face.










Just because something is the "Greatest, Newest, and Best" doesnt mean you need to use it. That just means that thier Marketing department is trying to get you to spend your money on it to make profits for them. The first time I realised this was when I bought Clorox Anywhere Hard Surface cleaner..... After I bought it and used it I felt like the biggest fool when I read the ingredieants! ITS JUST A 10% BLEACH WATER SOLUTION, that they charged me $3.99 for. I can get a whole jug of bleach for less than a dollar!










After that I started looking up Old ways to Clean:










Vinegar can be used to Clean Damn Near ANYTHING... Just don't use it to clean Pearls... THEY WILL DESLOVE!










Bleach isnt always what its cracked up to be so I don't use it as much.










I actually made my first batch of Laundry Powder yesterday and to my complete surprise , ITS AMAZING! I didn't even use any fabric softener.










The Hubz and I are in the process of getting a house, so once that all starts then I'm going to attempt to start making soap, and Yes I will share all the wonders of that mess when it starts.



















2 comments:

  1. Jaci, I love that you are going back to basics.. If you need anything just holler... but I don't really have knowledge in thisw field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Most Excellent Mudder In law :)

    ReplyDelete