Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Living the dream





Roughly 12 years ago I went to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival for the first time.


I went with my boyfriend at the time who was always talking about how much fun it was, how magical it was.


That hour changed my life.... Yes I only got to spend an hour because the moron I was dating at the time got us lost (looking back I still feel like an idiot because of how easy it is to find ).


I didn't get to make it back till 2 years later, The weekend after Sept 11th. Everyone who was in attendance that weekend was all looking for the same thing, an escape from the nightmare we all shared a few days earlier. To top it off I had just found out that I was pregnant with my oldest child a that week . I was 20 years old, my second year of college and single. I was a complete mess.


Walking into grounds that afternoon changed my life, some people say (and I agree) that the first time you walk through that gate it feels as if you have come HOME.


It really is so hard at times to describe what it is that brings me back, I often describe it as "My Happy Place".


Where else can YOU become apart of the story?
Music from every corner, wonderful crafting merchants, costumes, dancing, singing, flirting,playing.
There is No Judgement, Everyone is Family there.
Plus the added bonus for someone like me is the HUGE pagan community that frequents fest.




This year I joined the Shakopee Jaycees and now I'm living the dream, Selling beer for a wonderful organisation that helps the community.


I've worked for another non-profit since shortly after I graduated High school, so I'm familiar with how things work.

I attended a few meetings of the Jaycee's before Fest started.I went through orientation, got to know a few of the people in the group.
I was signed up to work at Mac's Pub. The secret of all great secret pub's at MN RENFEST. Its right behind the pavilion and the jousting area.

So my adventure begins, after the first weekend of working out there I was given the option of being a "Silent Hawker".
To those who aren't familiar with the Hawkers at any Renaissance Festival, I pity you. These are the people who YELL AT YOU from a distance to lure you into purchase their goods. In my case the pub that I work at : Mac's Pub. We have live music that plays there all day long, you can't yell at people and disturb the music- NO BUENO!
So my friend Jim, who also works at Mac's pub created "Silent Hawking", by making wooden signs that have funny pictures on them. A lot of people were sceptical when Jim first made these signs; "Really , you think these are going to work?"
Let me tell you.. THEY FREAKING WORK!
When people ask me " What do you do out at Fest? "
I tell them.. " I stand on a bench for 4 hours a day (2x 2hour shifts) holding wooden signs, enticing people to buy beer. I smile, wink, make faces, occasionally get propositioned".
ITS GREAT!
In the first time that I was a silent hawker I must have gotten my picture taken at least 50 times.
For a little while I contemplated making a "Fan Page" on facebook.
Well that only took another week.
I created the page also to tell all the little funny stories that happen while I'm working at fest along with all the pictures people take. The trick is finding the pictures!? So if you happen to stumble upon photos of "Romani Jax"- Help a Girl out and tag them! Oh and "Like" my page while your at it! LOL
Now to the whole purpose of this post, when you find something in your life that you love so much you cant even explain it, you must experience it. Get involved and DO IT.
If the joy in your life is lacking, find the things that make you happy and DO IT!
There is nothing worse then having that feeling of "Maybe I should have, I wish I could have.. blah blah blah.. "
The people in your life ,who truly understand you , WILL UNDERSTAND!







1 comment: